Blaž Križnik obtained a Bachelor's Degree in architecture from the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, and continued his study at the Rotterdam Academy of Architecture and Urban Design, The Netherlands. He completed his doctoral degree in urban sociology at the University of Ljubljana. He worked as a research fellow at the Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia in Barcelona, Seoul Development Institute, and Seoul National University Asia Center, and as visiting professor at the University of Seoul and Kwangwoon University in Seoul. He is also a cofounder and researcher at the Institute for Spatial Policies in Ljubljana. His research interests include comparative urban studies, sociology of urban social movements, and Korean studies.
Blaž Križnik은 슬로베이나의 류블랴나 대학에서 건축학 학사 학위를 취득하고, 네덜란드 로테르담 건축 및 도시 디자인 아카데미에서 공부를 계속했다. 그는 류블랴나 대학에서 도시사회학 박사학위를 수여했다. 바르셀로나 카탈로냐 고등 건축 연구소, 서울시정개발연구원, 서울대학교 아시아연구소에서 연구위원으로 일했으며, 서울시립대와 광운대에서 객원교수로 활동했다. 그는 류블랴나 공간정책연구소의 공동 설립자이자 연구원이다. 그의 관심분야는 도시 비교 연구, 도시 사회 운동의 사회학, 한국학 등이다.
• Emerging Civic Urbanism in Asia: Hong Kong, Seoul, Singapore, and Taipei beyond Developmental Urbanisation (forthcoming, with Cho Im Sik and Jeffery Hou). Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press.
• Community-based Urban Development: Evolving Urban Paradigms in Singapore and Seoul (2017, with Cho Im Sik). Singapore: Springer Nature.
• Local Responses to Global Challenges: Cultural Context of Urban Change in Barcelona and Seoul (2009). Ljubljana: Faculty of Social Sciences.
Selected journal articles
• Social Mobilisation in Localities and Urban Change in South Korea: The Evolution of the Geumho–Haengdang–Hawangsimni Community Movement in Seoul (2021). Asian Studies, 9(1).
• Sharing Seoul: Appropriating Alleys as Communal Space through Localized Sharing Practices (2020, with Cho Im Sik). Built Environment, 46(1).
• Deciding Together: Citizen Participation in Planning the Neighbourhood Improvement in Seoul and Singapore (2019, with Cho Im Sik and Kim Su). Asia Review, 8(2).
• Streets as Spaces of Community Building: A Case Study of Urban Regeneration in Samdeok Maeul, Seoul (2018). Asian Studies, 6(2).
• Transformation of Deprived Urban Areas and Social Sustainability: A Comparative Study of Urban Regeneration and Urban Redevelopment in Barcelona and Seoul (2018). Urbani Izziv, 29(1).
• Changing Approaches to Urban Development in South Korea: From ‘Clean and Attractive Global Cities’ towards ‘Hopeful Communities’ (2013). International Development Planning Review, 35(4).
• Selling Global Seoul: Competitive Urban Policy and Symbolic Reconstruction of Cities (2011). Revija za sociologiju, 41(3).
Selected book chapters
• Re-emerging Civic Urbanism: The Evolving State-Civil Society Relations in Community Building in Seoul (forthcoming, with Kim Su). In: Emerging Civic Urbanism in Asia: Hong Kong, Seoul, Singapore, and Taipei beyond Developmental Urbanisation. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press.
• From Commodities to Community Engagement: Localities and Urban Development in Seoul, Korea (2021, with Kim Su). In: Exporting Urban Korea? Reconsidering the Korean Urban Development Experience. London: Routledge.
• Urban Change in East Asia: A Comparison of Civic Participation in the Residential Neighbourhood Improvement in South Korea and Singapore (2019, with Cho Im Sik and Kim Su). In: Processes and Relations in East Asia. Ljubljana: University of Ljubljana Press.
Selected research grants
• From State-led towards Community-driven Placemaking? Locating Traditions and Practices of Community Building in Seoul (2017). 2017 National Research Foundation Research Grant.
• Re-thinking Community through Urban Agriculture: A Case Study of Urban Gardening in Seochon, Seoul (2017, with Benjamin Joinau). Korean National Research Council for Economics, Humanities and Social Sciences Research Grant.
• Towards a Post-developmental City in East Asia? Comparing Everyday Practices and Policies of Community Building in Seoul and Singapore (2016, with Cho Im Sik and Lee Taehee). 2016 Seoul National University Asia Center Research Development Grant.
• Best Paper Award, 10th International Forum on Urbanism (2017). Hong Kong.
• Best Paper Award, Great Asian Street Symposium (2016). Singapore.
• Best Paper Award, Great Asian Street Symposium (2014). Singapore.
• Faculty of Social Sciences Best Doctoral Dissertation Award (2009). Ljubljana.